It’s California Avocado Week at Downtown Disney in Anaheim, and Cooking with Mickey got a front row seat to media day on July 2.
The history of the avocado stretches all the way back to 10,000 B.C., and now there are over 500 varieties of avocados enjoyed around the world. However, there is one in particular that is consumed most in the world, and it all started right here in Southern California. The Hass Avocado originated just miles from Disneyland in La Habra, California, by amateur horticulturist Rudolph Hass back in 1926. The seedlings from that one avocado tree have spread all over California and now account for 80% of all avocados grown worldwide.
|The main stage|
We had the pleasure of watching ESPN Zone's Executive Chef Tom Keaveny make one of his creations for avocado week, Mini California Avocado Shrimp Club.
|ESPN Executive Chef Thomas Keaveny talking about his dish he is going to prepare.|
|Mini California Avocado Shrimp Club|
2 Fresh California Avocados
1/4/cup Heavy Cream
1 tsp Lemon Juice
2 Serrano Peppers
1/2 a Baguette
2 oz Olive Oil
1/16 tsp Kosher Salt
1/16 tsp Black Pepper
6 Shrimp (Poached)
1 Roma Tomato (Sliced)
2 Bacon Strips
- De-seed Serrano pepper and finely dice.
- Peel and de-seed avocado and place in a blender or food processor with Serrano pepper, heavy cream, and lemon juice and blend until smooth and well incorporated.
- Slice the baguette in 1/4" slices and brush with olive oil, season with salt and pepper, then grill until lightly toasted.
- Spread baguette slices with a light layer of avocado mousse, top with Roma tomato slice, poached shrimp, a dollop of avocado mousse, and bacon.
I really enjoyed this treat. The avocado mousse was so creamy and flavorful. I especially loved it with the shrimp and bacon. Yummy! This simple, yet delicious recipe is perfect for any party or get together. The whole audience was oohing and ahhing while enjoying this little treat.
|Let the Guac-Off begin|
|The Guac-Off judges|
|Winner of the Guac-Off|
As we entered the private second floor dining area, we were greeted by several members of the Catal staff, Jan DeLyser of the California Avocado Commission, as well as Chef Steven Mary who introduced and explained the three courses on the beautiful menu.
|Catal Dining Room Chef Weber's avocado-inspired menu|
|Tartare of Japanese humachi with green shiso, crispy wakame, agretti and California avocado-jalapeno sorbet|
|Confit of suckling pig with sweet corn, zucchini blossoms, smoked pork jus, smoked California avocado and house made chicharrones|
|Double chocolate tart with California avocado mint puree, lace tuille and Harry's berries blackberries|
- ESPN Zone - Grilled Chicken California Avocado Wrap
- Catal -Tartare Humachi that we had for our dinner
- House of Blues - California Avocado and Blue Cheese Crusted Rib Eye
- Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen - Fired Green Tomato BLT with California Avocado
- Rainforest Cafe - Awesome Appetizer Adventure and Guacamole Burger
- La Brea Bakery - Shrimp and Salsa Stuffed California Avocado and Turkey California Avocado Sandwich
- Tortilla Joe's - Ceviche de Hachinango Shots, Shrimp and California Avocado Enchiladas, and a Avocado Margarita.
Here is the commercial now playing on TV from the California Avocado Commission:
Special thanks to Jan DeLyser of the California Avocado Commision, Elizabeth Santos of GolinHarris, Doug O'Hara, and all those at Catal Restaurant for their hospitality and for hosting such a fun event. It was also such a pleasure speaking with and learning from other food bloggers from California. I want to thank them for their wonderful advice and company during our dinner. Laura Bashar of FamilySpice.com, Carolyn Scott of HealthyVoyager.com, and Mimi of MimiAvocado.com.
Also, I want to thank Kristen for allowing my wife Taylor and I to attend this event and represent Cooking With Mickey. I know Kristen really wanted to go to this event, but I am so thankful that gave me this opportunity, and for giving me an experience I will never soon forget--my first media event as a food blogger.
Follow me Twitter @big_bubba_b for Disneyland news, updates, trip reports, and food news. You can also catch me on Sorcerer Radio's (SRSounds.com) Disneyland Magic with your host William "Yetichaser" Hershey, airing Wednesdays at 5am pst/ 8am est for even more Disneyland news .
Vincent "Big Bubba B" Alvarez