As the warm summer days are approaching, we decided this month to create a fun summer treat. King Louie's Frosty Banana Treats are frozen bananas decorated with anything from chopped nuts to sprinkles to colored candy melts. As with all the recipes we have shared for Little Chef Disney Creations, these recipes are simply guidelines to create something fun and delicious with your kids. They can be easily adjusted to include your child's favorite flavors!
- 5 bananas
- 1 bag chocolate candy melts (or 2c. chocolate chips plus 2 T. shortening)
- Decorations: chopped nuts, sprinkles, praline crunch, non-pariels or any other decoration of your child's choice
- Plastic Knife
- Craft Sticks
- Double Boiler or Microwave
- Waxed Paper
- Peel the bananas. Have your child use the plastic knife to cut them in half. This is great opportunity to talk about halves and fractions, as well as give your child practice with using a knife.
- Insert a craft stick into each banana half.
- Wrap the bananas in foil and place in the freezer overnight.
- In a double boiler, melt the candy melts (or if you are using the chocolate chips, combine the chocolate chips and shortening in the double boiler). Stir constantly to be sure it does not burn or the candy melts do not overcook. You can also melt these in the microwave for thirty seconds at a time on low, stirring every 30 seconds until completely melted.
- Dip the bananas into the melted chocolate. Or, holding the banana over the pot, spoon the melted chocolate over the banana. (I microwaved the candy melts in a large bowl, which made spooning the chocolate over the bananas much easier for the kids and I didn't have to worry about them burning themselves on the double boiler).
- The coating will start to harden quickly, so immediately sprinkle the chocolate covered banana with your child's favorite decorations.
- Any that you will not eat right away, wrap in waxed paper and then put in a freezer bag to store until you are ready to enjoy it!
There are many ways to change the look of these. Candy melts come in just about any color you can imagine these days. The same can be said about sprinkles. They come in all sizes and shapes, and most likely, you can find one to match the theme of any birthday party, holiday or gathering you are planning. My kids love these, and as soon as they ate the ones we made, they asked when we were going to make them again!
Follow on Twitter
Like on Facebook
Subscribe to the YouTube Channel