Germany has been represented at the Epcot International Food and Wine Festival since the beginning and this recipe was featured on their 2009 menu.
2 tbsp butter
¼ cup diced onions
¼ cup diced ham
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup milk
¾ cup whole eggs
2 cups Spaetzle (home made or purchased)
¼ cup Gruyere cheese
½ cup or more Cheddar cheese for topping
Salt and pepper to taste
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 ¾ tsp salt
1 ¼ cups whole milk
3 large eggs
½ cup heavy cream
2 tbsp olive oil
- Prepare the Spaetzle noodles first. To make the pasta, first bring a pot of salted water to a boil and keep at a bare simmer. Fill another large bowl with very cold water and set aside.
- Whisk together flour and 1 tsp salt in a medium bowl. Whisk together milk, eggs, and heavy cream in another bowl, then whisk into flour until batter is smooth.
- In the pot with simmering water, push the pasta through the Spaetzle machine. You could also use a colander with larger holes to create the noodle strands. When they start floating to the surface after about a minute, transfer the noodles to the bowl of cold water.
- Toss the drained Spaetzle with a little oil. You can find Spaetzle at a German Specialty store if you prefer to purchase them.
- Start by adding butter to a sauté pan. Sauté diced onions and ham in butter. In a separate bowl, mix heavy cream, milk and whole eggs. That is going to help congeal the pasta together and give the dish its binding and great flavor.
- Add the sautéed ham and onions and Gruyere cheese to the Spaetzle. Add the cream-milk-eggs liquid inside the casserole dish and mix together. Don't forget to add salt and pepper to taste.
- The last step is to add extra aged cheddar cheese over the top of the mixed Spaetzle.
- Put in a 350-degree oven and bake for about 15 minutes.
Cooking with Mickey Fans
Follow on Twitter
Like on Facebook
Subscribe to the YouTube Channel