Vienna, Austria made it's debut at the Epcot International Food and Wine Festival in 2008 and unfortunately has returned since 2009. This recipe for mushroom soup is from 2009.
1/2 cup dried porcini mushrooms
3 cups vegetable stock
5 medium ribs of celery, chopped
2 large onions, chopped
5 large carrots, chopped
12 large fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced
2 cups sliced crimini mushrooms
2 tbsp unsalted butter
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 cup sour cream
2 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
2 tbsp dill, finely chopped
Coarse salt, to taste
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Rinse and dry the porcini mushrooms. Place in 2 cups of cold water in a medium bowl; set aside to soak for at least four hours or overnight.
- Place the vegetable stock in a large pot over medium heat and cook for 4 to 5 minutes until it begins to simmer. Stir in celery, onions, and carrots.
- Strain the dried mushrooms, stirring the liquid into the stock. Chop porcinis into 1/4 inch pieces and add to the stock.
- Stir in shiitake mushrooms and crimini mushrooms, cover with a tight fitting lid and reduce heat to low. Cook for about an hour, or until vegetables are tender.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Add flour to make the roux, and cook, stirring constantly until smooth, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove 1 cup broth from soup and add to the roux, whisking constantly for 1 to 2 minutes or until roux slightly thickens and is free of lumps. Stir into soup.
- Stir in parsley and dill. Purée soup with immersion blender for 2 to 3 minutes or until smooth.
- Add sour cream, whisking constantly for 1 to 2 minutes until well blended. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve in warm bowls.
Cooking with Mickey Fans
Follow on Twitter
Like on Facebook
Subscribe to the YouTube Channel