Arroz con Pollo was one of the items on San Juan, Puerto Rico menu at the 2009 Epcot International Food and Wine Festival.
1/2 medium yellow onion, coarsely chopped
1 large shallot
5 cloves garlic
1 medium green bell pepper
1 medium red bell pepper
4 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro, divided
1/2 cup olive oil
3 lb skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
1/2 cup tomato paste
1/2 cup sliced green olives
1/4 cup drained capers
5 cups chicken broth (I needed about 7 cups before the rice was done)
4 cups short grain white rice
Coarse salt, cracked black pepper, to taste
- Place onion, shallots, garlic, green and red peppers and 2 tablespoons cilantro in food processor and pulse to a fine chop. Set aside. (Mine was very fine by the time I was finished - more like a salsa - but it still tasted great).
- Heat oil in a 5-quart sauce pot over medium-high heat. Add chicken and stir for 2 to 3 minutes until browned.
- Add chopped vegetables, tomato paste, olives, and capers, and continue to cook and stir for 6 to 8 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
- Stir in broth and rice. Cover and reduce heat to medium to maintain a gentle simmer and cook until the rice has absorbed the liquid, about 10 minutes.
- Turn the heat to low and cook, covered, for 10 more minutes or until the rice has absorbed all the liquid.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Just before serving, stir in remaining cilantro.
Cooking with Mickey Fans
Follow on Twitter
Like on Facebook
Subscribe to the YouTube Channel