This Yachtsman Steakhouse recipe is a twist on the American classic; using lemon cornbread instead of the traditional angle food cake. The contrast of the lemon cornbread's citrus flavor to the sweetness of the strawberries is a nice surprise.
|Strawberry Shortcake with Lemon Cornbread|
Grand Marnier Strawberries
7 1/2 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
1/3 cup Grand Marnier
3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
1 1/4 cups whole milk
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
11/4 cups sugar
2 tablespoons baking powder
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup lemon juice
3 tablespoons fresh lemon zest
Fresh whipped cream, crème fraîche or vanilla ice cream, for serving
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup lemon juice
Zest of 1/2 lemon
1. Combine 1 1/2 cups strawberries, Grand Marnier and sugar in a blender, blending until smooth.
2. Combine remaining strawberries with puréed mixture in a large mixing bowl. Set aside to marinate.
1. Preheat oven to 300° F. Grease and flour 13 X 9 X 2-inch baking pan.
2. Beat oil, milk and eggs in a large bowl using an electric mixer.
3. Sift together flour, sugar and baking powder in a separate bowl. Gradually mix the dry ingredients into the wet, stirring until smooth.
4. Stir in cornmeal, then lemon juice and zest.
5. Transfer the batter to the prepared baking pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached, about 40 minutes.
For lemon syrup
1. Mix sugar and water in a small saucepan; bring to a boil over high heat.
2. Reduce heat to medium and continue to cook for 1 minute.
3. Remove from heat and add lemon juice and zest.
4. If not using immediately, refrigerate in an airtight container.
1. Cut cooled cornbread into 12 squares, trimming off top crust.
2. Drizzle each square of cornbread with 1 tablespoon of lemon syrup. Allow syrup to soak in for 2 to 3 minutes.
3. In a buttered frying pan, sear both sides of cornbread until golden brown.
4. Top cornbread square with Grand Marnier strawberries, then top with whipped cream, crème fraîche or vanilla ice cream.
Cooking with Mickey fans
Follow on Twitter
Like on Facebook
Subscribe to the YouTube Channel