This sweet treat made popular in the US by restaurants such as Café du Monde, can be devoured at Sassagoula Floatworks Food Factory in Disney's Port Orleans French Quarter. This official state doughnut of Louisiana is a deep-fried pastry sprinkled with confectioner's sugar and served hot. If you've never had one you must try it.
1 pack dry yeast
1/2 cup sugar
7 cups flour
1 1/2 cups warm water
1 tsp Salt
1 cup undiluted evaporated milk
1/4 cup soft shortening oil, for frying
- In a large bowl, sprinkle yeast over water, stir to dissolve.
- Add sugar, salt, eggs, and milk. Blend with rotary beater.
- Add the flour. Cover and chill overnight.
- Roll out on floured board to 1/8" thickness. Cut into 2 1/2" squares.
- Deep fry at 360 degrees 2-3 minutes or until lightly browned on both sides. Drain on paper towels.
- Sprinkle heavily with confectioner's sugar.
Cooks Note: Dough keeps well in refrigerator for several days. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and punch down occassionally.