One of my favorite soups are coconut curries, and this is no exception. Kona Cafe at Disney's Polynesian Resort serves this satisfying starter, and brings together the spice of chili, cool sweetness of coconut, and lightness of broth.
1 1/2 stick of butter
1 large white onion, medium diced
4 oz tomatoes, canned and diced
4 cans of coconut milk
1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3 tbsp mild Indian curry past
1 1/2 tbsp red Thai chili paste
2 tbsp lobster-based bouillon
1 lb shrimp, peel and deveined
8 oz sour cream
1/2 lemon, juiced
Coconut flakes, unsweetened
- Combine curry and chili pastes together.
- In a large bowl, coat the shrimp with 2 tsp of the paste mixture. Season with salt.
- Melt butter in a medium stock pot. Add the diced onion and sweat under medium heat.
- Add flour and stir until forming a blond roux.
- Add coconut milk, remaining mixture, tomatoes and bouillon. Whisk well to combine all ingredients and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add shrimp, continue to simmer until the shrimp is complete cooked.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve topped with sour cream, chives and coconut flakes.
- Combine lemon juice and sour cream in a small bowl.
- Toast coconut flakes until golden brown.
- Chop chives finely.