3 tbs. vegetable oil
1/3 c. chopped onion
1 1/3 c. peeled, seeded, chopped tomatoes 4 tbs. sour cream
1/4 c. shredded Monterey Jack cheese
2 tbs. chopped fresh epazote
2 chili peppers
4 soft corn tortillas
1/2 medium ripened avocado, cubed
1 tsp. garlic
1 quart chicken broth
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large sauce pot. Saute onion, tomatoes and garlic until onion is transparent.
- Add chicken broth and epazote. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove seeds and stems from chili peppers and cut each in two pieces lengthwise. Cut tortillas in 1/3 inch strips.
- Heat remaining tablespoon oil in a skillet and fry peppers for five seconds. Remove to a paper towel and fry tortilla strips until golden brown. Drain on paper towel.
- Divide chili peppers, tortilla strips and avocado cubes between 4 heavy ceramic or clay soup bowls.
- Pour the hot chicken broth into bowls.
- Garnish each with a spoonful of sour cream and Monterey Jack cheese.