Many people enjoy eating raw shellfish like oysters. However, there are risks involved. Vibro vulnificus is a type of bacteria that can be present in molluscan shellfish. For people with a weakened immune system (including organ transplant patients), liver disease, iron overload disease, diabetes, stomach disorders and cancer (including leukemia) eating raw shellfish can be extrememly dangerous.
Symptoms of illness include fever, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach pain, shock and skin lesions and usually occur within 24-48 hours. If you experience these symptoms, seek medical attention immediately.
Cooking With Mickey Blog