24 ounces Heavy cream
12 ounces Milk
4 ounces Sugar
1/4 teaspoon Ginger, ground
1/4 teaspoon Cinnamon, ground
1 cup Gingerbread Cookies, crushed
5 ounces Dark Brown Sugar
4 ounces Water
1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
1 Cage-free egg
3 Cage-free egg yolks
5 tablespoons Cornstarch
2 1/2 ounces Butter
1/2 ounce Myers Dark Rum, optional
- In a heavy medium sauce pan, whisk the cream, milk, sugar, spices and cookies, reserve.
- Place over a medium flame and bring to simmer. Infuse for 20 minutes. Strain.
- In a large sauce pan, combine brown sugar, water, and salt.
- Place over medium-high heat.
- Bring to a boil.
- Continue to cook stirring occasionally to keep the mixture from scorching, for 5 minutes, the mixture is a deep brown and caramelized.
- Remove from heat, immediately whisk in the warm cream mixture. Careful it will bubble.
- Whisk smooth until the caramel is fully incorporated. Return to high heat, bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the egg, egg yolks, and cornstarch.
- Whisking constantly, add half of the hot caramel cream, to the egg mixture, add remaining caramel cream.
- Pour the back into the saucepot, whisking constantly, cook over medium heat, for about 2 minutes, until a very thick custard forms.
- Remove the custard from the heat and whisk in the butter and rum.
- Pour the custard through a chinois into ten 6-oz glasses, to within 1/2 inch of the rim. Cover with plastic wrap, refrigerate for 2 hours, or until well chilled.
Cooking With Mickey Blog