Nine Dragons Restaurant in the China Pavilion at Epcot serves this sweet and savory dish. This dining experience features traditional and modern items from all over China, in a colorful dining room.
¾ lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into ½ inch by 2 inch strips
Dash of white pepper powder
Salt, to taste
Sugar, to taste
½ c. water
½ c. cooking wine
2 tsp. sesame oil
Marinate the chicken; stir the marinade ingredients together in a medium bowl, add chicken and toss gently to coat. Let stand for 10 minutes.
¾ c. all-purpose flour
¼ c. cornstarch
1 heaping tbs. baking powder
1 egg white, beaten
2/3 c. water
2 tbs. oil
Pinch of salt
1. Mix together the flour, cornstarch and baking powder, then add the egg white, water and oil.
2. Put mixture aside for 30 minutes. Make the Honey Sauce white the batter is resting.
3. Pour enough oil into a 2-quart saucepan to come to a depth of 2 inches. Heat over med-high heat to 320 F.
4. Place chicken pieces into batter mixture and coat. Using tongs or chopsticks, drop into hot oil and fry until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
5. Serve immediately with Honey Sauce.
3 tbs. honey
¼ c. sugar
2 tbs. ketchup
1 tbs. white vinegar
Pinch of salt
1. Mix all ingredients in a bowl and set aside for the use chicken has been prepared.
2. After chicken is fried, heat Honey Sauce mixture in a clean frying pan over med-high heat. Stir until mixture bubbles.
3. Mix chicken pieces into sauce with a spatula.
4. Place on serving dish and serve immediately
5. Optional: sprinkle with chopped green onions and toasted white sesame seeds.
Notes: To make the sesame seeds more fragrant, roast at 350 F for 10 minutes.
How to Make Honey Sesame Chicken